Subba amma ku upma pidikamma? Aamma
This is my go to meal when I have nothing to cook and hope I have something to make it with… I love upma no matter what time of the day it is.
Here are the ingredients to make this one: (I had to mix quiet a few items to make this as I was out of sooji / rava)
- Sooji\rava: 1 cup (I had to roast)
- Vermiceli: 1 cup (it was already roasted)
- Water: 3.5 cups
Onion: 1 medium size
Ginger: 1 inch piece (cut finely)
Green Chilli: 3 (cut finely)
Curry leaves: a few
Half lemon juice
beans (a handful), carrot – 1, potato (small) – 1, cauliflower: 1/2 cup
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urud dhal – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dhal – 1/2 tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Cashews – a few
- Coriander leaves: a few
- Tomato (medium): 1 finely chopped
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Dry roast sooji/roast in a wok\kadai till it is like sand.
- (If the vermicelli is not roasted, please dry roast it as well)
- Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Add oil, when heated add all the seasoning ingredients: mustard, urad daal, channa daal. Let it sputter.
- Fry cashews (optional: Fry cashews in a little ghee and keep aside.)
- When it is golden color, add ginger, chilli, curry leaves. Saute.
- Now add finely cut onion, saute till it turns pink.
- Add rest of the vegetables except tomato.
- Add a little salt and cover with lid so that the vegetables get cooked. Keep it in a low flame.
- Add required salt.
- In medium high flame, add the roasted sooji\rava & vermicelli slowly.
- Once it is all mixed add water. Keep stirring it while adding water so that it does not clump up.
- When it begins to boil, add 2 tbsps of ghee (clarified butter); reduce the flame.
- Mix it well and cover it.
- When done, add lemon juice. Mix well. Add the Garnish and serve
- Garnishing: add the fried cashews, tomatoes, and coriander leaves.
Yummy upma ready !!! NJoy